Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Airports
How will the airports run?

I refer to:

1. How many terminals can be built?
2. If I am the owner of a terminal, can I rent gates to another airline?
3. How many gates will each terminal have?
4. If I have just one gate in an airport and two planes at the same time there, how much time does the second plane must wait?
5. Will we have turn around time?
Maybe a mother question before question 2 is, can someone buy airports?
We haven't quite decided on most of these as of yet. I think it is going to be possible to buy an airport.
[Image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en...r_logo.png]
[b]FlyHigh Forum/Project Manager[/b]
Well numbers 4 & 5 can defiantly be talked about.
I don't think the second plane should have to wait at all, if one plane leaves the gate at 13:45 then the next should be able to use it at 13:46. However it should be better to leave a small gap incase the first is delayed.

I think for the rent of what you have described some sort of tern around time is a must, I think the time should change from aircraft to aircraft. (Smaller ones being faster)

I supposed I had imagined that it would work like this.
Skifan's international has 58 gates, you have leased 2:
[monday][tuesday]... (These would be buttons)
Gate 1. Gate 2.
00:00 to 06:00 - free. 00:00 to 09:00 - free
06:00 to 06:30 - SKI123. 09:00 to 09:45 - SKI000
06:30 to 09:00 - free
09:00 to 10:15 - SKI111
Continued...
Your current utilisation of gates is x%, costing you an average of y per seat and z per flight.

Make sense?
Obviously these are my ideas, I'm not says that this is fact and is in the game yet. (But hopefully they will)
If you look at this post in the editor by replying to it then you'll see how it should look - extra spaces where removed when posting.
If there is no gate available, then you could have the second plane wait 45 minutes and then have the first plane just "sit on the tarmac" until either A) the first plane is ready to depart, and it's been 45 minutes since the second plane arrived or B) The second plane has left after 45 minutes.
(45 minutes being ground time to deplane and other ground procedures)
Assuming we have a manual take off and landing schedule.

If we have a scheduled system, then I like skifans idea.

| I'm the Lead Core Developer! |

A picture is worth 1000 words. FH is worth 7451 [u]lines[/u]!
(03-13-201506:38 PM)dbd Wrote: If there is no gate available, then you could have the second plane wait 45 minutes and then have the first plane just "sit on the tarmac" until either A) the first plane is ready to depart, and it's been 45 minutes since the second plane arrived or B) The second plane has left after 45 minutes.
(45 minutes being ground time to deplane and other ground procedures)
Assuming we have a manual take off and landing schedule.

If we have a scheduled system, then I like skifans idea.

My issue with this is, (assuming there is no scheduling system) is that it takes a very long time to turn around aircraft. I bet most people here on CA landed all there cycled all their planes at some point between waking up and going to work/school. However with a system like that then it would not be possible.
Well, since we were going for the realism aspect, I thought it would be fine.
But I only turn planes twice a day at most - once in the morning and once at night. 45 minutes wouldn't make a difference for me, but then again that's just me.

I don't know about this, but what if users didn't have to manually land aircraft? they just land themselves (although if multiple planes are landing, wait two minutes between them?)

(03-14-201512:15 AM)dbd Wrote: Well, since we were going for the realism aspect, I thought it would be fine.
But I only turn planes twice a day at most - once in the morning and once at night. 45 minutes wouldn't make a difference for me, but then again that's just me.

I don't know about this, but what if users didn't have to manually land aircraft? they just land themselves (although if multiple planes are landing, wait two minutes between them?)

I just want to try and understand what you are saying:
Proposal 1:
Person needs to log in to land aircraft.
Person needs to log in again after at least 45 minuets to take off aircraft. This would be double if 2 aircraft land at an airport and the airline only has 1 gate.

Proposal 2:
Aircraft automatically land themselves. There is a delay of 2 minuets between aircraft landing at the same airport (assumably if two airlines planes are landing then one will have to wait).
Person needs to log in at least 45 minuets after aircraft landed to take them off again.

I just don't think proposal one works is it requires people to be online to much of the time. Proposal 2 I think though woo plus be fine. I do though think that smaller aircraft should have smaller turn around times (this could be time per seat or time for small, mesdium & large aircraft but I think some sort of per seat number would work best) regardless of which way we go for.
(03-14-201502:46 PM)skifans Wrote:
(03-14-201512:15 AM)dbd Wrote: Well, since we were going for the realism aspect, I thought it would be fine.

I just want to try and understand what you are saying:
Proposal 1:
Person needs to log in to land aircraft.
Person needs to log in again after at least 45 minuets to take off aircraft. This would be double if 2 aircraft land at an airport and the airline only has 1 gate.

Proposal 2:
Aircraft automatically land themselves. There is a delay of 2 minuets between aircraft landing at the same airport (assumably if two airlines planes are landing then one will have to wait).
Person needs to log in at least 45 minuets after aircraft landed to take them off again.

I just don't think proposal one works is it requires people to be online to much of the time. Proposal 2 I think though woo plus be fine. I do though think that smaller aircraft should have smaller turn around times (this could be time per seat or time for small, mesdium & large aircraft but I think some sort of per seat number would work best) regardless of which way we go for.

How about 0.25 minutes per seat? That was an 8-seat aircraft waits 2 minutes and a 200 seat plane waits 50 minutes. Although, for large pax aircraft like the A388, at full capacity (~850) would have to wait 212.5 minute, or 3 hours 32 minutes 30 seconds. Confused

Or this formula:
y=sqrt(x^(1.5))
where y is minutes and x is seats on plane
So an 8-pax aircraft waits 4 minutes 48 seconds, a 200-pax waits 53 minutes 12 seconds, and the 850-pax waits 157.4 minutes, or 2 hours 37 minutes 24 seconds.

Or perhaps this one:
y=sqrt(x^(1.4))
where y is minutes and x is seats on plane
8-pax => 4 minutes 18 seconds
200-pax => 40 minutes 48 seconds
850-pax => 1 hour 52 minutes 24 seconds

You can play around with the formula here:
https://www.desmos.com/calculator

I did some fiddling on the same website and agreed with you that y=sqrt(x^(1.4)) is better then y=sqrt(x^(1.5)). However I still felt the numbers where a tad low for small aircraft and thought that y=sqrt(x^(1.5))+5 did better. I then went to design my own equation and through that while the number of seats on an aircraft does affect the loading time the amount of seats sold also has an effect. It is quicker to load a 100 aircraft when only 50 seats have been sold when compared to a full flight on the same plane (less food, bags, people). However this only realy matters if you don't have a scheduling system (unless you get realy in depth so you could say something like - sell seats on this flight to only 70% so you can spend less time on the ground and therefore make an earlier (available) slot at a different airport). y=sqrt(t)+sqrt(s^(1.2))+(t/10) Where Y is the turn around time (minutes), S is the number of seats sold and T is the total number of seats. How this forms our shown bellow. They are written, total seats, seats sold, turn around time.
8, 8, 7.1
60, 60, 25.4
80, 80, 30.8
80, 60, 28.6
100, 100, 38.5
100, 80, 33.9
200, 200, 58.2
500, 500, 114.0
850, 850, 171.4
850, 800, 169.3